Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Principles and Absolutes ...

Sometimes we need to consider the counsel of Dallas Willard ... let's get back to the "principles and absolutes".

"Now you might ask yourself, Why does the New Testament say nothing about all those matters to which the usual congregation today devotes almost all its thought and effort? Answer: Because those matters are not primary and will take care of themselves with little attention whenever what is primary is appropriately cared for. Pay attention to the “principles and absolutes” of the New Testament church and, one might suppose, everything else will fall into place—in large part because “everything else” really doesn’t matter much one way or the other. To fail to put the focus on those principles and absolutes, on the other hand, is to wander off into a state of distraction, which is where most of our local congregations actually are. They wind up majoring on minors and allowing the majors, from the New Testament point of view, to disappear." 
     ~ Dallas Willard, Renovation of the Heart

(I shared the following with my flock as I retired...) 

"ONE THING

  👉 SEEK HIS FACE... 

    "ONE THING have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple." - Psalm 27:4

    👉 SEEK HIS HEART... 

    "But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but ONE THING is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” - Luke 10:41-42

   ðŸ‘‰ SEEK HIS CALL... 

     "... But ONE THING I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." - Phil. 3:13-14

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." ~ Prov. 19:21

So, above all, keep the main thing 
the main thing! 

Because they would see Jesus... 

~ PJVS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be an Imitation!

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than w...