Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Mercy and Grace...

I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.” ~ 1 Timothy 1:12-14 (ESV)

During his teen years, Nicky Cruz ran away from home and started living on the streets of New York City. He became a member of the Mau Maus Street gang, eventually becoming their Warlord and ultimately their president. After a dramatic conversion to Christ, Cruz went on to Bible college and answered God’s call to gospel ministry. For the past 50+ years, he has shared the gospel message worldwide to nearly 50 million people and written 17 books on the at-risk youth culture that has been decimated by crime, drugs, and gang activity. Does our past always determine our future?

Not all pastors were born with a silver Bible in their hands. As I often remind my sons, “I didn’t always walk with the Lord”. In fact, many of us remember running from Jesus, rather than walking with him. So, how and most curiously, why has God appointed us to his service? The answer will always come down to just two words … mercy and grace. This is where we began, and this is where we must continue, or our ministry will be nothing but misery. Never forget the streets from whence you came and the strength on which you depend. We are who we are as pastors because of the overflowing faith and love of Christ. Our past didn’t determine our future.

There’s no end to how God will choose to use you in his service my friend. But you may be certain of this… He will use you. Where, how and why is up to Him alone. Don’t short-change or doubt yourself. God didn’t pull you out of your past, call you to serve, and fully equip you to fail. As Paul was ever thankful for God’s profound appointment, may we too be grateful for the calling of God in our lives. Because, when it comes to God’s mercy and grace, His past always determines our future!

Blessings as You Serve, 

~ PJVS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be an Imitation!

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than w...